From Michael Dürig <mic...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Question about OAK
Date Thu, 26 Apr 2012 19:41:15 GMT

On 26.4.12 20:18, Karan Malhi wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I kind of know from the README that OAK is going to be made for webapps.
> However I am not sure what would be the primary difference between OAK and
> JackRabbit? Seems like some code is being ported from JackRabbit into OAK
> itself. The reason I ask is because I have a webapp(at work) which uses
> JackRabbit heavily and was wondering if it would make sense to think about
> replacing JackRabbit with OAK in the future. Is there a place where I could
> see a roadmap for OAK.

Hi,

Oak currently is at a very early state of development. The main goal of
the project is to develop a JCR compliant repository which is ready for
current and future requirements. In contrast to Jackrabbit 2 Oak does
not aim to implement every optional feature of JSR-283/JSR-170 but
rather trade some of these for better performance and scalability. For
more details see the strategic plan [1] on the Jackrabbit Wiki.

For an initial release road map see [2]. Release 0.2 is just around the
corner.

Michael

[1] http://wiki.apache.org/jackrabbit/Jackrabbit%203%20Strategic%20Plan
[2] http://markmail.org/message/7dhxklytr2xaoe24