From Michael Dürig <mdue...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Encoding of JCR values in json
Date Thu, 12 Apr 2012 17:58:13 GMT

On 12.4.12 18:43, Angela Schreiber wrote:
> hi michael
>
>> On a related note: what kind of values do we want to expose from
>> oak-core? JSON like or JCR like?
>
> i would prefer JCR like on the oak-API level and only have an
> intermediate JSON serialization if there was remoting involved
> in the communication between oak-jcr and oak-core (don't think
> this is the standard setup).
>
> the main reason for that is that we want to push the validation
> and query into the oak-core layer. so imo the oak-core layer
> needs to be aware of property types and therefore i don't
> see an urgent need for extra conversion of values on that layer.
> thinking for example of property definitions (nt),
> value constraints, restrictions within access control entries
> or specific queries.

Ok, makes sense. We need then

- Have a respective value entity on the oak-api. There is already the
CoreValue class which should somehow fit/be fitted into the picture.

- Update all places in the API where Scalar is used currently with the
new value representation.

- Still come up with a encoding into JSON. However since this is not
exposed through the oak-api we are more flexible here.

Could you come up with a draft for such a class/interface? That would
allow me to take the role of the API critic for once ;-)

Michael