From Michael Dürig <mdue...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Different types of 'item modification' on oak-jcr (and oak-api)
Date Thu, 12 Apr 2012 17:35:16 GMT

On 12.4.12 17:47, Angela Schreiber wrote:
> hi michael
>
>> Thinking a bit more about this, what about introducing the concept of a
>> "system editor", which could be used to modify "special items"? While
>> the details needs to be sorted out, the general idea is like this:
>>
>> A "system editor" is an instance of a NodeStateEditor that can modify
>> "special items". Normal node state editors can't modify "special items".
>> A "system editor" is obtained from a connection similar to how normal
>> node state editors are obtained.
>
> not sure if i like that. actually i rather don't :)
>
> IMO those special content are just regular items from oak-JCR point
> of view, while oak-CORE would need to have knowledge of all kind of
> special items anyway. that starts from jcr:primaryType and goes to
> nodes of type jcr:nodeType.
>
> what i am actually looking for (and had a quick discussion looking
> at my real privilege-registration example) was probably some sort
> of changelog/changeset and second some way of adding state
> modifications independent from accessing jcr items.

That's exactly what my proposal tries to solve. You would use the
"system node editor" for that.

> example: registering a new privilege could for example consist of
>
> - add a new node state underneath the dedicated priv-root
> - add 2 properties to that new node state
> - maybe there was even an additional next-level child node states.
>
> currently, i simply didn't find how i was able to do that
> in a reasonable (simple) way and whether that really would
> do, what i wanted it to do.

editor.addNode("priv-root")
privRootEditor = editor.edit("priv-root")
privRootEditor.setProperty("one", ...)
privRootEditor.setProperty("two", ...)
privRootEditor.addNode(...)

> some issues i found with the API so far
>
> 1) tried to use your workspace.copy example.... but
> to connection.getNodeStateEditor i can't pass
> a path but only a state other than the root node
> that i simply don't have access to if i don't want to
> use the current session.....
> the currentroot was not the right location to add content.
> -> see also my comment on NodeStateEditor#edit below

TransientNodeState.getChildNode()

> 2) i find it odd that NodeStateEditor#addNode doesn't
> return me the new node state.

That's easy to change and we probably should.

> 3) the only way i found to add a next level to that new node state
> was NodeStateEditor#edit(String)... was that assumption correct?
> if it was i would find that API really troublesome and it looks
> like a mixture of different concepts....

Which concepts does it mix? It actually separates representation of
state from modification of state.

> 4) why wasn't there another way to access the new child node state?
> or the original node state?
> i just got an editor but there is no way to get from editor
> to node state as far as i saw.

TransientNodeState.getParent()
TransientNodeState.getChildNode()
TransientNodeState.getEditor()
NodeStateEditor.getTransientState()

> 5) connection commit takes a NodeState editor.
> could that be an editor other than the root-node editor?
> if not, why? and how/where do you control that?
> and if yes: why can't i access the that other non-root-editor then?

This could admittedly be clearer. Connection.commit() accepts any editor
and will apply all changes which have been done to the root editor from
which that editor originated. The reason for that is, that each editor
also represent the private branch which was forked off at the time
Connection.getNodeStateEditor() was called. We could of course make this
more explicit by introducing a Branch class which would then be returned
from NodeStore.branch() and which would contain methods for obtaining
NodeStateEditor instances. However I feared that would be called
over-engineered again...

> those are just a couple of comments... after all the current API doesn't
> look very consistent and satisfying to me.

Well there are no other proposals so far. So this API is still the best
we have...

Michael