From Angela Schreiber <anch...@adobe.com>
Subject Re: Different types of 'item modification' on oak-jcr (and oak-api)
Date Thu, 12 Apr 2012 16:47:24 GMT
hi michael

> Thinking a bit more about this, what about introducing the concept of a
> "system editor", which could be used to modify "special items"? While
> the details needs to be sorted out, the general idea is like this:
>
> A "system editor" is an instance of a NodeStateEditor that can modify
> "special items". Normal node state editors can't modify "special items".
> A "system editor" is obtained from a connection similar to how normal
> node state editors are obtained.

not sure if i like that. actually i rather don't :)

IMO those special content are just regular items from oak-JCR point
of view, while oak-CORE would need to have knowledge of all kind of
special items anyway. that starts from jcr:primaryType and goes to
nodes of type jcr:nodeType.

what i am actually looking for (and had a quick discussion looking
at my real privilege-registration example) was probably some sort
of changelog/changeset and second some way of adding state
modifications independent from accessing jcr items.

example: registering a new privilege could for example consist of

- add a new node state underneath the dedicated priv-root
- add 2 properties to that new node state
- maybe there was even an additional next-level child node states.

currently, i simply didn't find how i was able to do that
in a reasonable (simple) way and whether that really would
do, what i wanted it to do.

some issues i found with the API so far

1) tried to use your workspace.copy example.... but
    to connection.getNodeStateEditor i can't pass
    a path but only a state other than the root node
    that i simply don't have access to if i don't want to
    use the current session.....
    the currentroot was not the right location to add content.
    -> see also my comment on NodeStateEditor#edit below

2) i find it odd that NodeStateEditor#addNode doesn't
    return me the new node state.

3) the only way i found to add a next level to that new node state
    was NodeStateEditor#edit(String)... was that assumption correct?
    if it was i would find that API really troublesome and it looks
    like a mixture of different concepts....

4) why wasn't there another way to access the new child node state?
    or the original node state?
    i just got an editor but there is no way to get from editor
    to node state as far as i saw.

5) connection commit takes a NodeState editor.
    could that be an editor other than the root-node editor?
    if not, why? and how/where do you control that?
    and if yes: why can't i access the that other non-root-editor then?

those are just a couple of comments... after all the current API doesn't
look very consistent and satisfying to me.

kind regards
angela

> In oak-jcr system editors could be used to accumulate changes which
> should dispatch on save and to write changes which need to be dispatched
> immediately (much like NodeStateEditor is currently used). That is,
> modifications stemming from JCR API calls (i.e. addNode) would dispatch
> through a normal node state editor while other modifications (like
> registering a privilege) would dispatch through a "system editor".
>
> Some details we need to sort out are:
>
> - How exactly is a "system editor" obtained? I see currently two ways:
> either add a method to Connection or a parameter to
> Connection.getNodeStateEditor()
>
> - What exactly are "special items". We need a way to mark/encode them in
> the underlying storage model.
>
> Michael
>

> On 12.4.12 15:03, Michael Dürig wrote:
>>

>> On 12.4.12 13:13, Angela Schreiber wrote:
>>> well, i still don't see how/where you plan to implement
>>> the notion of transient modification.
>>>
>>> in other words to make it clear (in case it isn't):
>>> how do i change protected items in oak-jcr such that the items
>>> are marked modified and the session has pending transient changes?
>>> and such that i don't have to use the JCR API methods, which in
>>> this case from my understanding are 'invalid'?
>>>
>>> so, how do we make sure that
>>> Session#hasPendingChanges
>>> Item#isNew