From Julian Reschke <julian.resc...@gmx.de>
Subject Re: test case failures
Date Tue, 10 Apr 2012 14:07:38 GMT
On 2012-04-10 15:15, Thomas Mueller wrote:
> Hi,
>
>> testAbsoluteRelative(org.apache.jackrabbit.mk.fs.FileSystemTest)
>
> I guess you use Windows? I think this should be fixed in revision #1311705
> - could you try this please (I don't have Windows currently, but from the
> Javadocs I think I know what was wrong)? If it's still failing, could you
> tell me which line failed exactly (there are 3 tests in this method)?
>
> Regards,
> Thomas

OK,

so the problem is that

     	File f = new File("C:\\test\\abc");
     	System.err.println(f.isAbsolute());

gives true while

     	File f = new File("\\test\\abc");
     	System.err.println(f.isAbsolute());

yields false.

This seems to be consistent with
<http://docs.oracle.com/javase/6/docs/api/java/io/File.html#isAbsolute%28%29>:

> Tests whether this abstract pathname is absolute. The definition of absolute pathname
is system dependent. On UNIX systems, a pathname is absolute if its prefix is "/". On Microsoft
Windows systems, a pathname is absolute if its prefix is a drive specifier followed by "\\",
or if its prefix is "\\\\".

...where Oracle apparently has a Javadoc escaping problem and *means* to
say:

> Tests whether this abstract pathname is absolute. The definition of absolute pathname
is system dependent. On UNIX systems, a pathname is absolute if its prefix is "/". On Microsoft
Windows systems, a pathname is absolute if its prefix is a drive specifier followed by "\",
or if its prefix is "\\".

This is probably because under Windows

   \test\abc

is relative to the current drive (not sure whether that has a meaning in
the Java libraries).

Anyway, do we *really* need this abstraction layer?

Best regards, Julian