From Felix Meschberger <fmesc...@adobe.com>
Subject Oak Bundles (was : Oak 0.2 release plan)
Date Mon, 23 Apr 2012 09:14:32 GMT
Hi,

So, I attached a patch generating bundles out of the mk, core, and jcr modules.

As indicated in the bug I saw a small number of issues:

There are a number of problems with the current code structure:

* An explicit Export-Package statement is needed in each
  module because by default the bundle plugin exports
  anything not inside (below) an impl or internal package.

* Core still contains MK stuff referring to packages
  presumably private to the MK module (see also OAK-57)

* QueryEngine and ResultRow in core .api refer to CoreValue
  residing in a non-exported package. This should be fixed
  (move CoreValue or don't refer to CoreValue)

* To make it easier to decide between public (externally
  usable) and internal packages, I suggest to move internal
  packages below a common packages, e.g. o.a.j.mk.internal.*
  for the MK module. This assists users to identify presumably
  internal code and helps the bundle plugin in deciding
  what to export and what not.

The bundles generated with the patch look good, but I did not test this stuff yet in a real
OSGi framework. Maybe we should create functionality in the JCR module (or in a separate module)
to create and expose an Oak Repository as an OSGi service - when running in an OSGi framework.

Regards
Felix