From Felix Meschberger <fmesc...@adobe.com>
Subject Re: Oak API - a top down look
Date Wed, 18 Apr 2012 06:51:36 GMT
Hi,

Am 17.04.2012 um 23:28 schrieb Jukka Zitting:

> This is just a draft proposal, so please critique or propose
> alternatives, ideally in a format like this so that we'll be able to
> use the resulting consensus as the beginning of more comprehensive API
> documentation.
>
> [1] https://github.com/jukka/jackrabbit-oak/blob/trunk/oak-core/README.md

Thanks !

> The API for accessing core Oak functionality is located in the
> `org.apache.jackrabbit.oak.api` package and consists of the following
> key interfaces:
>
>  * ContentRepository
>  * ContentSession
>  * ContentTree

Sounds like a proper cleanup of nomenclature.

IIUIC there is no notion of a workspace here, right ? So to implement JCR workspaces, those
might be to top level ContentTree below the root ?

> All `ContentRepository` and `ContentSession` instances are thread-safe.
> `ContentTree` instances are *not* thread-safe...

I think it is a good thing to clearly state thread-safe-ness. But I am worried about ContentTree
not being thread-safe..

>    ContentTree tree = ...;
>    ContentTree subtree = tree.addSubtree("hello");
>    subtree.setProperty("message", "Hello, World!");
>    tree.commit();

Particularly this one worries me most: We are now leaving the turf of immutable value objects
again and enter concurrency problem prone terrain ...

Or am I misunderstanding something ?

Regards
Felix