From Lukas Kahwe Smith <...@pooteeweet.org>
Subject Re: oak-api and move operations
Date Fri, 30 Mar 2012 12:09:10 GMT

On Mar 30, 2012, at 14:08 , Lukas Kahwe Smith wrote:

> On Mar 30, 2012, at 13:48 , Jukka Zitting wrote:
>> Hi,
>> On Thu, Mar 29, 2012 at 11:25 PM, Michael Dürig <michid@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> While this is not a problem for the user of the API, I think it is
>>> problematic for the implementer: AFAIKT there is no way to
>>> reliably recover move and copy operations just by comparing
>>> raw trees (*).
>> Git does this quite successfully. Is there some reason why we couldn't
>> use a similar algorithm?
>> More generally, what's the use case where this functionality is
>> needed? I'd be happy to even drop support for NODE_MOVED observation
>> events unless we have real clients that actually require that
>> information (as opposed to just create/update/delete events).
> I am not sure if I understand the topic exactly, but a use case could be a situation
where the website mimics the data storage, one might want to purge content from a reverse
proxy based on changes done to the data and there a move operation would of course be an important
event to look for.

ah nevermind .. i guess what you are suggesting is that a move operation would just show up
as a delete+create, which would work just fine for the use case mentioned above.

Lukas Kahwe Smith

View raw message