From Thomas Mueller <muel...@adobe.com>
Subject Re: oak-api and move operations
Date Fri, 30 Mar 2012 13:09:44 GMT
Hi,

>>>reconstruct move and copy operations from looking at the
>>> raw trees
>Aha there it is! My original phrasing was: (emphasis added) "there is no
>way to *reliably* recover move and copy operations". Git gives up on
>reliability.

Please note this only applies if you try to recover the operations from
the node data. It's not a problem if the operations itself (the jsonDiff)
is stored (in the same way as the commit message is stored).

> I'd be happy to even drop support for NODE_MOVED observation events
>unless we have real clients that actually require that information

I guess we need to discuss this. Does it only affect moving nodes from one
tree to another, or does it also affect renaming nodes? Would it be a
performance problem if moving or renaming a large subtree takes a really
long time (because it results in a huge number of observation events)? I
kind of think it would be problematic because the user doesn't expect it:
if I rename or move a directory in the file system, I expect it to be
fast, no matter how many subdirectories and files it contains.

As for copy operations: for which JCR feature(s) do we need them? There is
no "copy" JCR level event type as far as I know.

Regards,
Thomas