From Thomas Mueller <muel...@adobe.com>
Subject Re: full text search improvements
Date Mon, 26 Mar 2012 14:55:48 GMT

>I haven't looked at / tested JCR joins : I just can't imagine that is
>scales enough, but perhaps this is more related to my 'Lucene 1.4
>experience'  :)

Lucene 1.4?

For Oak, joins should perform well (I guess with 'scale' you mean
'perform'). Currently only nested loop joins are implemented (this is what
relational databases use most of the time). If this turns out to be a
problem, we might want to implement other join algorithms (block-nested
loop join, hash join, merge join). But first let's see if it really is a

>I am not sure if it would be an issue for oak, but for jr 1 and 2, we
>build up jcr session keeping virtual node states in memory : This can
>grow too large, and it not easy to limit.

OK I see. With "virtual nodes" I was thinking about temporary nodes that
only exist while iterating of the query result. But this is something I
will keep in mind. I'm sure we will find a good solution.

>but I think it is all much easier if we
>expose faceting not over a node structure. Perhaps a row structure,
>where some 'row' do not have a backing jcr node?

It's hard to say right now, I think we should postpone talking about the
implementation details until we have all the pieces and a good test case.

View raw message