From Thomas Mueller <muel...@adobe.com>
Subject Re: Re (OAK-36) Implement a query parser - what about indexing?
Date Thu, 22 Mar 2012 12:43:32 GMT
Hi,

>I'm looking
>for a way to build the input side.

Right, there are multiple ways to do that. I can think of three main cases:

(A) initial creation of the index: traverse the node tree
(B) offline update using the journal (MicroKernel.getJournal)
(C) real-time update using a MicroKernel wrapper

The index mechanism currently available in oak-core at
org.apache.jackrabbit.mk.index actually already supports all three cases:
(A) using Indexer.createPropertyIndex and Indexer.createPrefixIndex, (B)
if the index mechanism is used as a separate module, and (C) if the
IndexWrapper is used. Please note the index mechanism is not fully tested
yet. Also, there are still open questions with regard to clustering (but
to solve those, I believe we first need to get a better idea about how to
implement clustering - possibly we will not need this mechanism for
indexing in a cluster and use the 'native' index mechanism of the
underlying storage in this case). An index based on Lucene could work in a
similar way.

Regards,
Thomas