From Jukka Zitting <jukka.zitt...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Online backup
Date Mon, 12 Mar 2012 13:01:06 GMT
Hi,

On Mon, Mar 12, 2012 at 1:46 PM, Felix Meschberger <fmeschbe@adobe.com> wrote:
> But: However the repository implements sharding etc. The user of the
> JCR API does not have to care about this implementation detail...

Right, but a backup tool is not a normal JCR client.

> As such a backup solution, should well be possible on-top of the JCR API
> regardless of how the internal implementation distributes data etc., right ?

Why? The JCR API does not cover all the functionality needed to fully
recover a repository from a backup (and offers no bulk-read or
incremental update feature needed for fast backups), so a backup
client in any case needs to use a lower level API.

Whether and how such an API exposes features like sharding is an issue
we still need to sort out. It's good to remember that use cases like
backup can be significantly affected by the design we select.

BR,

Jukka Zitting