From Jukka Zitting <jukka.zitt...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: On setting component boundaries in Oak
Date Fri, 09 Mar 2012 13:55:48 GMT

On Fri, Mar 9, 2012 at 2:43 PM, Michael Dürig <mduerig@apache.org> wrote:
> Why do we need an SPI?

I think the main difference is in whether we want to have all content
accesses go through JCR or not (compare the overview diagram I sent
earlier to the alternative one at [1]).

Having everything go through JCR adds a bit of overhead (stuff like
namespace mappings are normally not needed) and makes it hard or
impossible to express certain kinds of features (like for example
ETags, batch operations or alternative query models).

I'd say that the main design difference between such an Oak API and
the existing Jackrabbit SPI should be that there's no need to be able
to layer the Oak API on top of an arbitrary JCR implementation. Thus
we can better expose and leverage the specific features of an Oak

[1] http://people.apache.org/~jukka/2012/oak-overview2.png

Jukka Zitting

View raw message