From Jukka Zitting <jukka.zitt...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Online backup
Date Mon, 12 Mar 2012 11:14:35 GMT
Hi,
On Mon, Mar 12, 2012 at 12:05 PM, Marcel Reutegger <mreutegg@adobe.com> wrote:
>> 2) Assuming we get the clustering architecture right (which we
>> should), it should be possible to start a new read-only node to an
>> existing cluster, wait for it to synchronize all existing content from
>> the rest of the cluster, and finally stop this backup node. The result
>> should be a complete, runnable copy of the repository.
>
> this however also assumes that each cluster node has a complete copy
> of the repository. I'd rather be in favor of a cluster solution that
> distributes the repository across multiple machines for improved
> scalability.

Right, sharding is an added complexity.

Once a repository reaches the size where sharding is required, the
traditional approach of backing up the repository to a single backup
server or tape no longer works. In such cases the backup itself
probably also needs to be sharded, which probably is best achieved by
starting a full set of shards instead of just a single node for the
backup.

BR,

Jukka Zitting