From Jukka Zitting <jukka.zitt...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: On setting component boundaries in Oak
Date Thu, 15 Mar 2012 16:13:00 GMT
Hi,

On Thu, Mar 15, 2012 at 4:06 PM, Stefan Guggisberg
<stefan.guggisberg@gmail.com> wrote:
> whenever i see the term "framework" i am kind of sceptical ;).
> my usual experience with frameworks is that they're doing
> an ok job for the standard use cases but can't handle real world
> problems. that's just my personal take of course.

Fair point. I guess we'll see by time whether the shared parts of
potential different MK implementations are best organized as a shared
library that the MK implementations call to or as a shared framework
that calls out to custom extensions.

>> With that concept, the oak-mk component would contain not just the MK
>> API, but also the default implementation and a set of extension
>> interfaces by which different storage, clustering and other parts can
>> be plugged in depending on the deployment.
>
> agreed.

So here's an updated component diagram that outlines the oak-jcr,
oak-core and oak-mk components as proposed:

    http://people.apache.org/~jukka/2012/oak-components4.png

We can (and probably will) split off the Oak and MK APIs to separate
components down the line. But I'd like to keep them just as separate
Java packages for now until the interfaces have stabilized enough for
us to start making some level of backwards compatibility promises on
them.

BR,

Jukka Zitting