From Ard Schrijvers <a.schrijv...@onehippo.com>
Subject Re: Re (OAK-36) Implement a query parser - what about indexing?
Date Mon, 26 Mar 2012 10:44:29 GMT
On Mon, Mar 26, 2012 at 12:27 PM, Thomas Mueller <mueller@adobe.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm not sure if you already saw that, but one of the goals for Oak is to
> "Simple/Fast queries (i.e. through specialized indexes)" - see also
> http://wiki.apache.org/jackrabbit/Goals%20and%20non%20goals%20for%20Jackrab
> bit%203 - what I understand under "specialized indexes" is user defined
> indexes. At runtime, the query engine will pick the best (user defined)
> index(es) for the given query (cost based).
>
> Currently, there is only one index type: traversing the nodes. A second
> index type is the indexer mechanism that stores the index data in the
> repository itself (this is already implemented and needs to be wired to
> the query engine). A third index type is the Lucene fulltext index. The
> query engine supports additional index types.
>
> And there might be additional index types. Implement a new index type
> should be relatively easy. If you want to implement such an index type,
> then this could be either within Oak itself, or outside of Oak. In any
> case, the current plan (my plan) is to add an index service provider
> interface.
>
>>the 'more out-of-the-box functionality' does not imply a full-text
>>index is needed per se
>
> I believe we will need a out-of-the-box fulltext index as part of Oak. But
> whether or not it is actually used is up to you, because indexes are user
> defined.

Thanks for your feedback Thomas. One more quick question : Is it the
idea to also store the Lucene fulltext index in the repository itself?

Regards Ard

--
Amsterdam - Oosteinde 11, 1017 WT Amsterdam
Boston - 1 Broadway, Cambridge, MA 02142

US +1 877 414 4776 (toll free)
Europe +31(0)20 522 4466
www.onehippo.com