From Michael Dürig <mdue...@apache.org>
Subject Re: oak api : initial draft
Date Thu, 29 Mar 2012 09:51:28 GMT

>>> Yes that was my initial thinking too. That would mean the connections
>>> are
>>> bound to a workspace. And workspaces (and workspace management) would
>>> have
>>> to be exposed somehow through the oak API.
>
> yes... somehow that was my idea as well. and i am not convinced
> that mixing the repository-workspace concept on the oak-api was
> the right way to go... currently this is more of a gut feeling
> with some individual concerns popping up here and there.
>
>> I'm a bit hesitant about this. It basically means that all
>> cross-workspace operations will need custom API calls. If we make the
>> login call per-repository and treat workspaces more or less just as a
>> convention on the content structure, then oak-jcr can easily implement
>> things like workspace management, etc. with no extra API or support
>> from the oak-core level.
>
> i am not sure if we can really easily implement things like workspace
> management: for example creating a new workspace needs some initial
> workspace setup (creating the root node, initial permissions, users) and
> i doubt that oak-jcr was the right place to do that.

What about an solution which covers both, workspace bound connections
and repository bound connections? In such a setup you'd get a workspace
bound connection from the RepositoryService and you could get a
Repository bound connection from the a given Connection. The latter
could then be used for cross workspace operations.

Michael