From Angela Schreiber <anch...@adobe.com>
Subject Re: oak api : initial draft
Date Thu, 29 Mar 2012 09:09:57 GMT
hi jukka

>> - Having NodeState and NodeBuilder in the oak-core API currently introduces
>> a dependency on oak-mk for clients of that API. We should probably move the
>> interfaces which are used across the stack to some common location.
>
> Right. This would be a non-issue if we hadn't split oak-core apart...

imo we need a separate api at the oak-core (SPI) level without
any dependency to MK. it's a different level of abstraction and
it has a completely different purpose. from my point of view
the MK is the replacement for the former persistence layer just
being in charge of the storage.
oak-core on the other hand is our main validation and consistency
layer that asserts that modifications made through the JCR API
or directly on the SPI layer (remember that we may have other
non-JCR clients on top of it)... this includes the ability to
distinguish workspaces, node types, different types of items
such as ac-data, regular content, user-related content an so
forth even if in the persistent layer they just all look like
the same.

> Anyway, I'd rather keep the oak-mk reference as is for now  [...]

i'd rather like to get rid of it as soon as possible.
the longer we keep oak-mk on the higher levels the hard it
will be to come up with a reasonable abstraction.

kind regards
angela