From Michael Dürig <mdue...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Request for Common Vocabulary
Date Fri, 23 Mar 2012 10:39:08 GMT

On 23.3.12 9:47, Angela Schreiber wrote:
> hi
>
> based on my experience over the past couple of weeks i would like
> to suggest that we try to get rid of that naming confusion that we
> are currently having with 'repository', 'node' and define some sort
> of common vocabulary.
>
> i keep getting private mails the seem to be using the term
> 'repository' for all kind of obscure entities. this makes
> communication extremely cumbersome.
>
> for me being a long term jackrabbit developer and JCR expert
> group member the following was the easiest:
>
> 'repo' -> by default refers to a JCR repository
> 'repository' -> same as repo
> 'workspace' -> by default refers to a JCR workspace
> 'node' -> by default refers to a JCR node

+1

In addition I suggest to qualify these terms with JCR if the meaning is
not clear from the context. For example "JCR node x is stored on cluster
node y".

Clustering is btw. another area where vocabulary seems vague. I suggest
to use clustering as the common term for partitioning and replicating
data. Partitioning means splitting data up among different storage
locations such that each data item exists at a single location only.
Replication means a data item is kept in multiple storage locations at
the same time. See [1].

Michael

[1] http://wiki.apache.org/jackrabbit/Clustering%20the%20Microkernel