From Michael Dürig <mdue...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Exceptions used in oak-core
Date Thu, 22 Mar 2012 10:04:51 GMT

Hi,

Here's my take at this: I'd use exceptions as sparingly as possible and
only for cases where something unexpected (an exception!) happens. That
is, I wouldn't use exceptions e.g. for items not being found. This is
clearly something that happens all the time and is by no means unexpected.

For the cases where exceptions are involved I would define our own very
small set of exceptions and make them all *unchecked*. Checked
exceptions compose very badly wrt. lazyness. For example an iterator
which lazily fetches its items on next() has no clean way of handling
exceptions in the next() method.

Only at the very last instance (i.e. in the jcr component) I would
actually create and throw the various RepositoryExceptions.

Michael