From Julian Reschke <julian.resc...@gmx.de>
Subject Semantics of MicroKernel.getNodes()
Date Wed, 14 Mar 2012 13:54:03 GMT
Hi there,

I'm looking at MicroKernel.getNodes(), and I believe the semantics might
perform non-optimal unless we get the property filtering right.

A typical use case always is browsing a repository using a tree view.

A tree view usually needs, given a node N:

- all or a subset of all properties of node N

- the set of child node names, and for each of these child nodes, a
predefined set of properties that will allow the caller to decorate the
node properly -- such as whether it's a container, and maybe the type).

Another problem is the String-fits-all return type; it would make it
impossible to implement streaming of the result to the client; which
will make the behavior for large collections non-optimal (the caller
needs to wait for the complete JSON string to be ready before it can
start forwarding information up the stack).

Best regards, Julian