From Angela Schreiber <anch...@adobe.com>
Subject Re: On setting component boundaries in Oak
Date Fri, 09 Mar 2012 14:07:07 GMT
hi thomas

>> therefore i would strongly suggest to separate jcr-transient
>> space from an "SPI" layer from the very beginning.
>
> Yes, I think we all agree on about the separation.

ok... that wasn't totally clear to me.

> I think multiple
> packages is good enough separation for now, while it doesn't slow us down
> as splitting things into multiple projects would.

why does splitting into components slows down anyone? you are
claiming that this was the case but i can't follow your reasoning
and would like to understand what exactly would slow you down.

for me many components never used to be a problem. not even multiple
jcr implementations... but maybe that's only me. i know by heart
what is where and why.

> Please note there will be quite a lot of common code used in both the
> transient space and the SPI.

for example? json utilities? txt-utilities? or what are you
referring to.

and yes, for that i would create a commons component or try to use
the current jackrabbit-jcr-commons as an initial solution.

> Do you like us to create a separate project
> for that, also right from the start? Would you also create another project
> for the common code used by the MicroKernel, the "SPI", and the transient
> space?

see above. and yes, i would do that. rather than copy around code.

kind regards
angela