From Lukas Kahwe Smith <...@pooteeweet.org>
Subject Re: oak-api and move operations
Date Fri, 30 Mar 2012 12:08:01 GMT

On Mar 30, 2012, at 13:48 , Jukka Zitting wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Thu, Mar 29, 2012 at 11:25 PM, Michael Dürig <michid@gmail.com> wrote:
>> While this is not a problem for the user of the API, I think it is
>> problematic for the implementer: AFAIKT there is no way to
>> reliably recover move and copy operations just by comparing
>> raw trees (*).
>
> Git does this quite successfully. Is there some reason why we couldn't
> use a similar algorithm?
>
> More generally, what's the use case where this functionality is
> needed? I'd be happy to even drop support for NODE_MOVED observation
> events unless we have real clients that actually require that
> information (as opposed to just create/update/delete events).

I am not sure if I understand the topic exactly, but a use case could be a situation where
the website mimics the data storage, one might want to purge content from a reverse proxy
based on changes done to the data and there a move operation would of course be an important
event to look for.

regards,
Lukas Kahwe Smith
mls@pooteeweet.org