jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From Tobias Bocanegra <tri...@adobe.com>
Subject Re: FileVault: Require Java 8
Date Thu, 05 Sep 2019 01:18:22 GMT
Hi,

ok. So from the jackrabbit / oak side we have:

- Jackrabbit 2.18 - recommended version for Java 8 and newer
- Jackrabbit 2.16 - Java 8 and newer
- Jackrabbit 2.14 - recommended version for Java 7 - “end of life” planned for Spring
2022

- Apache Jackrabbit Oak 1.16.0 (Java 8 and later)
- Apache Jackrabbit Oak 1.10.x (Java 8 and later)
- Apache Jackrabbit Oak 1.8.x (Java 8 and later)
- Apache Jackrabbit Oak 1.6.x (Java 7 and later)

The relevant part for the vault-core osgi bundle is the dependency on the jackrabbit APIs.
It has no direct bundle dependency to
Oak. Also, it doesn't embed any other bundles, so as long as the APIs stay Java version independent,
it should all work.

As for the CLI, we ignore the java7 compatibility and just include the respective jackrabbit
components that are needed (but again, no oak needed).

So the only things I'm concerned with are actuall API changes in the Jackrabbit API that are
relevant for FileVault.
For example fixes in Filevault that use new features in org.apache.jackrabbit.api.security.*
that would force a AEM 6.3/Java7 customer to use Jackrabbit 2.18. So far we were lucky and
didn't use any new Jackrabbit API for a long time I guess :-)

Anyways....
I would keep 3.2.8 as the current 3.2.x release, create a 3.2 branch and hope for the best
:-)
And then start with 3.4 (Java 8, Jackrabbit 2.18, Oak 1.16)

WDYT?
Regards, Toby

(https://github.com/apache/jackrabbit-filevault/blob/5104a49b4b0fcd25bfbcc202734cca490e55765d/parent/pom.xml#L43)
https://github.com/apache/jackrabbit-oak/blob/024278e1e33935bb30729a36252a1c93cc0e0d18/oak-parent/pom.xml#L45)

> So why is the combination of Oak 1.6 / Jackrabbit 2.16 necessary? I would understand
Oak 1.6 / Jackrabbit 2.14 (AEM 6.3, still supports Java 7).
> What should we now target for the next 3.x release?
>
> Thanks,
> Konrad
>
>> On 26. Aug 2019, at 19:54, Tobias Bocanegra <tripod@adobe.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> The problem is, that we need oak 1.6 / jackrabbit 2.16 compatible version of filevault.
I think that
>> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JCRVLT-340 might already changed that. If so,
we need to update
>> The major version and jump to 4.0.0, if filevault no longer works with oak 1.16.

>> And then we also need to start a dedicated 3.x branch for back ports.
>>
>> Regards, Toby
>>

>>> On 26 Aug 2019, at 05:00, Konrad Windszus <konrad_w@gmx.de> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi, currently FileVault is still supporting Java 7.
>>> But with https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JCRVLT-344 we implicitly require
Java 8 (due to the dependency towards Oak 1.16 and Jackrabbit 2.18).
>>> Is it fine if with the next release version (3.2.10) we require Java 8? Or should
we rather increase the second digit, i.e. release 3.4.0?

>>> Is Filevault using the same Odd/Even release policy as Jackrabbit/Oak?
>>>
>>> In any case I would strongly recommend to upgrade then also the FileVault Maven
Plugin to Java 8.
>>> WDYT?