jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From Timothée Maret <timothee.ma...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [FileVault][discuss] performance improvement proposal
Date Tue, 07 Mar 2017 14:03:51 GMT
Hi Bertrand,

> Hi,
>
> On Tue, Mar 7, 2017 at 2:28 PM, Timothée Maret <timothee.maret@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > ...IMO we should still allow to tweak between best performance and best
> > compression though, in order to accommodate different use cases...
>
> Best compression is probably just "compress everything regardless", right?

If yes that's a simple configuration switch.

> -Bertrand

Yes, the JCRVLT-163 improvement would be disabled by a simple config switch.
I think we can consider that compressing everything (feature disabled)
produces the best compression.

For the JCRVLT-164 improvement, best compression would be obtained by
configuring the java.util.zip.Deflater.html#BEST_COMPRESSION compression
level.

The two features are complementary. You could also have settings avoiding
to compress binaries, but selecting the best compression for the remaining
data.

Regards,

Timothee