jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From Thomas Mueller <muel...@adobe.com>
Subject Re: [FileVault][discuss] performance improvement proposal
Date Tue, 07 Mar 2017 14:09:19 GMT
Hi,

I'm be glad to help you with the auto-detection, as I wrote that code (a long time ago). As
I said, it's not a "perfect" solution, and you might want to tweak it for best results.

I run a small test against a "out-of-the-box" repository and found 99% of the binaries are
in a jcr:data property, and a mime type is available. This might not be the case for all repositories.
The mix of mime types probably varies even more; in my case, over 90% were from 6 mime types
(application/zip, application/java-archive, image/png, application/javascript, image/jpeg,
text/css).

> IMO we should still allow to tweak between best performance and best compression

Yes, that makes sense!

A global switch "compress everything regardless" sounds easy.

A more complex solution would be to use a list of configurable mime types to _never_ compress,
probably application/zip, application/java-archive, image/png, image/jpeg, video/mp4 or so.
And for the rest a threshold, at which point to compress (an extreme value means compress
everything else).

Regards,
Thomas