jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From "Dolan, Kelly" <kdo...@inmedius.com>
Subject Session object reuse?
Date Wed, 05 Feb 2014 14:40:12 GMT
Help! Is there any reason Session objects should not or cannot be reused? If so, why? (Time
is of the essence so I appreciate quick responses.)

>From the Jackrabbit documentation, we know Session objects are not thread-safe so we'd
need to guard against this (we're thinking of associating a session w/ each thread in the
thread pool). It also says its good practice to release resources, especially JCR sessions.
But ours are constantly in use and constantly created/destroyed. Our biggest concern is if
data would be corrupted/stale because logout() is not called on a session object that participated
in a transaction.

We are having performance problems, we need to quickly make some minor/low risk changes that
can improve performance, and this is one change we are considering. We are currently using
Jackrabbit 2.6.3. Our application architecture encapsulates Jackrabbit behind an interface
that defines fine-grained APIs. Currently, on call of each API we login and create a new Session
object (always w/ the same credentials), perform the function and then logout. The cost of
the login/logout calls is significant when considering the APIs are called many times for
one user operation (which is performed w/in a transaction). We plan to look at refactoring
the APIs for the long term but this is just not possible at this time.

Many, many thanks for guidance.

Kelly

--
Kelly E. Dolan, Software Architect