jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From Jukka Zitting <jukka.zitt...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: node naming
Date Wed, 09 Oct 2013 14:52:19 GMT
Hi,

On Wed, Oct 9, 2013 at 10:37 AM, Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de> wrote:
> On 2013-10-09 15:43, Jukka Zitting wrote:
>> In some cases yes. However, there shouldn't be any noticeable overhead
>> in the common case where both the client and the server are using
>> normalized names. And anyone who doesn't do that probably deserves the
>> slowdown they'd get. :-)
>
> Nice try.
>
> The problem is that there are multiple normalizations. Apple uses NFD in the
> filesystem, just about everybody else uses NFC. If you can get Apple to fix
> their platform, go ahead, and I'll shut up :-).

In most cases filenames are still plain ASCII (even people with
foreign alphabets typically use software that by default generates
ASCII filenames), which should keep the issue within reasonable
limits.

And when you're working with files, performance is in any case
typically governed by IO speeds, so as long as the normalization steps
won't require extra copying of binaries, any overhead we add should be
marginal.

I'm not saying this isn't a problem, just trying to put it in
perspective. AFAICT (though I may well be wrong) there aren't any
major use cases where the normalization cost would be too high.

BR,

Jukka Zitting