jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From Tobias Bocanegra <tri...@bocanegra.ch>
Subject Re: [OT] Donation of Adobe's "File Vault" and packaging tools
Date Mon, 24 Jun 2013 21:40:43 GMT
Hi,

On Thu, Jun 20, 2013 at 10:37 AM, Ate Douma <ate@douma.nu> wrote:
> On 05/03/2013 07:19 PM, Tobias Bocanegra wrote:
>>
>> Hello,
>>
>> as some of you might know, we at Adobe (and at Day Software before)
>> developed quite some tooling around exporting, importing and syncing
>> content from and to a JCR repository. The "checked-out" structure on
>> the local filesystem also offers SVN-like operations, like update,
>> checkin, status, etc., against the JCR repository. We called this
>> system the "File Vault (vlt)". It uses the built-in JCR remoting of
>> Jackrabbit to read and write the content.
>>
>> We also used the same serialization format to implement our "Content
>> Packages" which basically are a zip of such an exported structure, w/o
>> all the meta information needed for syncing. This packaging system
>> also comes with a HTTP service and UI that allows to actually manage
>> those packages (create, update, install, uninstall, upload, etc).
>>
>> Additionally we also developed some maven plugins that allow building
>> such content packages, controlling vlt (the command line tool) and
>> deploying content packages into a running repository.
>>
>> Our R&D thinks that the Jackrabbit project would benefit from such
>> tooling since nothing comparable is established today. We are now at a
>> stage where we cleared all hurdles with Adobe Legal, and streamlined
>> the codebase so that we are ready to contribute. All that's left to do
>> from our side is to refactor the java package space and replace the
>> copyrights.
>>
>> Once contributed, we will continue developing the tools, as we heavily
>> use them in-house and also train our customers and partners on this
>> technology. IMO, there is little risk, that the code gets orphaned.
>>
>> If the general consensus is that such a contribution is desired, I
>> will prepare the final patch and offer it for contribution.
>>
>> The rough schedule is:
>>
>> May: prepare patch and offer contribution of vlt, packaging, maven plugins
>> June: prepare patch and offer contribution of package manager and
>> related maven plugins
>

> I was wondering what the status for this is?

being buried in day-to-day work the last months, I just now completed
the preparation for the contribution. I need one or 2 more days to
find the best way for contributing (e.g. big patch vs. direct SVN
commits).

sorry for the delay, but it looks like the above timeline shifted by 1 month.

>> Along the same notes we also look into simplifying "vlt" as it is
>> sometimes a bit tricky to use :-) This development will start after
>> the contribution and we hope to have something usable by end of this
>> year.

regards, toby