jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From Jukka Zitting <jukka.zitt...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: svn commit: r1480921 - /jackrabbit/trunk/jackrabbit-core/src/main/java/org/apache/jackrabbit/core/data/DataIdentifier.java
Date Fri, 10 May 2013 08:28:49 GMT
Hi,

On Fri, May 10, 2013 at 11:14 AM,  <tommaso@apache.org> wrote:
> JCR-3534 - avoiding backward compatibility issue by adding back constructor DataIdentifier(byte[])

DataIdentifier is an internal class so there's only a very limited
backwards compatibility issue to consider.

We've generally only promised strict binary compatibility for external
implementations of extension points like the DataStore or
PersistenceManager interfaces within a stable maintenance branch. For
example upgrading from 2.6.0 to 2.6.1 should not require changes in
such components. However, across minor versions or unstable releases,
like from 2.4.x to 2.6.y or from 2.7.x to 2.7.y, we can expect such
implementations to be updated to match any relevant changes in
Jackrabbit internals.

In this case for example any DataStore implementations will in any
case need to be adapted to implement the new
getIdentifierFromReference() method (even if that implementation
always returns null), so the value of keeping DataIdentifier intact
isn't too high.

BR,

Jukka Zitting