jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From Alexander Klimetschek <aklim...@adobe.com>
Subject Re: Externalizing search
Date Fri, 31 May 2013 11:23:37 GMT
The problem is that this search implementation needs to follow the JCR specification and it
does quite a bit of custom code to map JCR properties to Lucene, needs to be fast to not block
save() calls too long etc. Some features (user management) might depend on the full JCR query
support. So "switching it out with SOLR" is not easy and might lead to more problems than
it solves.

In Oak [0] therefore the search is seen as a pluggable thing, where you might have the JCR
query compatible search index but also others. Oak experts can probably say more about what
is currently available or is planned (on oak-dev@jackrabbit.apache.org). There is an experimental
oak solr integration [1].

What you can do with the existing Jackrabbit is to use an observation listener to update an
external index such as Solr asynchronously.

[0] http://wiki.apache.org/jackrabbit/Jackrabbit%203
[1] http://slideshare.net/teofili/oak-solr-integration

HTH,
Alex