jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From Felix Meschberger <fmesc...@adobe.com>
Subject Re: Getting a value by its data identifier
Date Fri, 15 Mar 2013 13:59:29 GMT
Hi

I created https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JCR-3534 with a patch implementing the proposed
method along with a unit test validating round tripping.

Regards
Felix

Am 12.03.2013 um 12:32 schrieb Felix Meschberger:

> Hi all
>
> we have a couple of use cases, where we would like to leverage the global data store
to prevent sending around and copying around large binary data unnecessarily: We have two
separate Jackrabbit instances configured to use the same DataStore (for the sake of this discussion
assume we have the problems of concurrent access and garbage collection under control). When
sending content from one instance to the other instance we don't want to send potentially
large binary data (e.g. video files) if not needed.

> The idea is for the sender to just send the content identity from JackrabbitValue.getContentIdentity().
The receiver would then check whether the such content already exists and would reuse if so:

>  String ci = contentIdentity_from_sender;
>  try {
>    Value v = session.getValueByContentIdentity(ci);
>    Property p = targetNode.setProperty(propName, v);
>  } catch (ItemNotFoundException ie) {
>    // unknown or invalid content Identity
>  } catch (RepositoryException re) {
>    // some other exception
>  }
>
> Thus the proposed JackrabbitSession.getValueByContentIdentity(String) method would allow
for round tripping the JackrabbitValue.getContentIdentity() preventing superfluous binary
data copying and moving.

--
Felix Meschberger | Principal Scientist | Adobe