Hi, Julian:

I agree that the TCK unit tests are in really good shape, especially given that all of our known issues with them will be addressed in the 2.5.1 release (see [1]). Separating the TCK unit tests with its own independent release cycle will definitely require some up front work, and whether this work will be worth it may depend on several things:

* Relationship to the official TCK

The Jackrabbit TCK page [2] states that Jackrabbit's JCR Tests module is used within the official JSR-283 TCK [3] but is not the official TCK test. Obviously the former have been maintained and continue to improve, but the official JSR-283 TCK tests appear to have been released last on August 19, 2009. Is it possible that the official JSR-283 TCK tests can be updated, and would having a separate release schedule help with this in any way? (If the official TCK tests cannot be updated, then I presume any project wanting to claim JSR-283 compliance would have to run the official TCKs and appeal each of the older incorrect tests by stating the issue and perhaps using the updated/corrected tests Jackrabbit JCR Tests module as "corrections". Is there anything that makes this easier with a non-updated TCK? How does Jackrabbit show spec and TCK compliance?)

* New tests

The official TCK and Jackrabbit's JCR tests unsurprisingly do not completely cover the specification, and doing so would require a significant amount of effort. However, there may be opportunity over time for projects to propose adding new tests. If the JCR Tests' release cycle were independent from the Jackrabbit's release cycle, then the process of adding new tests and releasing updated JCR tests might be easier. On the other hand, verification that the tests are valid may become a bit harder. (We'd probably want to define a process to govern such additions and whether they are valid. At the moment, the )

For example, the ModeShape project has around 70 additional tests [4] that we'd be willing to donate. Most of these are around verifying administration privileges (e.g., registering namespaces, node types, etc., especially for anonymous users), versioning, and locking. Obviously we'd do this by submitting a proposed patch for the appropriate JCR unit test cases, and we'd want others to verify the expectations are indeed mandated in the specification. (Any Jackrabbit failures of the proposed tests might be a signal the tests.

Additionally, the Oak effort is already running the JCR tests and has recently found/fixed issues, too. Can those participating in Oak offer how much they might expect to simply reuse vs. add new tests?

Best regards,

Randall Hauch
Project lead, ModeShape

[1] http://markmail.org/thread/isihzvirvrc4idpp