jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From Bart van der Schans <b.vandersch...@onehippo.com>
Subject Re: Question about same name siblings and authorization
Date Tue, 03 Jul 2012 09:19:15 GMT
On Tue, Jul 3, 2012 at 11:06 AM, Jukka Zitting <jukka.zitting@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Tue, Jul 3, 2012 at 10:55 AM, Bart van der Schans
> <b.vanderschans@onehippo.com> wrote:
>> We running into a (potential) issue with same name siblings and
>> authorization and I would like to have some feedback before we try to
>> fix this (if needed at all).
>
> Your problem boils down to having "same name siblings" and
> "authorization" in the same sentence, or perhaps even having same name
> siblings in the first place. You're probably better off if you try to
> avoid the SNS feature entirely.

We are very aware of this, but unfortunately we are dealing with a bit
of legacy here :-(

>> Which is a bit odd, because how can the session know there is more
>> than one item sibling? Does anybody knows what the spec has to say
>> about this?
>
> The spec leaves this open by explicitly allowing access control to
> leave gaps in the SNS sequence. It's not an elegant solution, but
> AFAIUI nobody really considered such interactions when the SNS feature
> was specified (IIUC it came up just as a logical consequence of the
> XML import feature).

Ah, thanks Jukka and Stefan for the quick replies.

So the "compacts indices" mode for SNS is also allowed (as stated in
paragraph $22.5), but I suspect that may take quite some effort to
implement this in the current code base. And even then it probably
will come at the cost of some performance.

Regards,
Bart