jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From Julian Reschke <julian.resc...@gmx.de>
Subject Re: hasProperty vs getProperty
Date Fri, 20 Jul 2012 07:01:02 GMT
On 2012-07-20 00:44, Alexander Klimetschek wrote:
> On 19.07.2012, at 22:22, Julian Reschke wrote:

>>> No, if hasProperty() returns true, you don't expect the PathNotFoundEx and don't
have to handle it for the purpose of semantics! There is no catch(PathNotFoundEx) in the code
you quote :-)

>> Except for race conditions.
>
> Yes, but that's a separate issue (atomic behavior). Any write operation based on that
will be a separate call anyway.

> IMHO such application-level semantics (does exist vs. does not exist) should not be handled
by exceptions. Simply because it is not what exceptions are designed for (exceptions), when
the normal application logic expects this case. try/catch for normal logic is confusing.

I agree with that, but that's how JCR works.

It probably would be good to consider getProperties(...), returning an
Iterator, instead. Of course we first would need to optimize this in
Jackrabbit.

Best regards, Julian