jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From Julian Reschke <julian.resc...@gmx.de>
Subject Re: JSR-283 official TCK and the 'jackrabbit-jcr-tests'
Date Thu, 07 Jun 2012 16:58:57 GMT
On 2012-06-07 18:19, Michael Dürig wrote:
> Hi Randall,
>
> I think forking of the jcr-test module into its own release cycle
> definitely makes sense. The easiest thing would be to just make it a
> sub-project of Jackrabbit and move it from trunk/jackrabbit-jcr-tests to
> jcr-tests/trunk. In addition we'd probably also need a separate issued
> tracker and migrate existing issues.
>
> However, this comes with some additional effort and complexity. Apart
> from the initial move and fixing of existing dependencies we'd need a
> release manager who takes care of the new sub-project. Not sure whether
> Alex has enough cylces left to take this over.
>
> Let's see what others think of this and then open an issue from the
> conclusion.
>
> Michael

I agree that decoupling is the right thing to do. On the other hand,
decoupling also requires (a) some initial work, and (b) ongoing work to
actually cut the separate releases.

It seems that the original problem that triggered this discussion was
the amount of changes in trunk that were not present in a non-SNAPSHOT
release. In the meantime, 2.5.0 *has* been released, and looking at the
Jackrabbit release history, we've made releases every few months.

So is the trouble really worth it? Who volunteers to take case of this?

Best regards, Julian