jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From ashimita <ashim...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Developed jackrabbit-webdav client for Android
Date Thu, 19 Apr 2012 14:49:00 GMT
On Thu, Apr 19, 2012 at 4:40 PM, Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>wrote:

> On 2012-04-19 12:38, ashimita wrote:
>
>> *>No, I don't think so. There's a good reason why slf4j is used.*
>>
>> I understand that org.slf4j.Logger and  org.slf4j.LoggerFactory may have
>> been used for a good reason. I don't know the reason though.
>> But if we look at the source code, many places, they are not even used
>> for logging. They have just been instantiated in those classes and not
>> used. It has been existing from 2.2.5.
>> It's like declaring a variable and not using it. Nobody cleared them up
>> as well. :)
>>

> Well, we can clear those up. But that doesn't change that the code base in
> general uses that logging interface,
>
>  *> Well, commenting out isn't an option. This needs more research.*
>>
>> I agree and well, I have mentioned in my previous email the same thing.
>>
>> *>Optimally, you don't need Android-specific changes.*
>>
>> Android does not support  org.slf4j.Logger or org.slf4j.LoggerFactory.
>> We are not ready to replace them for android. So effectively this
>> library will not work on Android.
>>

> You just need an implementation of the slf4j  interfaces that works with
> whatever Android uses as default logger. No source code change in
> jackrabbit should be needed.

I am sorry I don't understand about the interfaces you are talking about.
Can you point me to some information? The main problem is that Android's
Dalvik Virtual machine does not allow you to run many Java packages. The
libraries I have mentioned above are some of them.

I understand your logic of not replacing these libraries with Java.logger
but how do these slf4j interfaces help?