jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From Bart van der Schans <b.vandersch...@onehippo.com>
Subject Re: jackrabbit-core RepositoryChecker.fix() can fail with OOM
Date Wed, 18 Apr 2012 11:05:59 GMT
On Wed, Apr 18, 2012 at 12:26 PM, Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de> wrote:
> On 2012-04-18 11:51, Bart van der Schans wrote:
>>
>> Hi Julian,
>>
>> On Wed, Apr 18, 2012 at 11:28 AM, Julian Reschke<julian.reschke@gmx.de>
>>  wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi there.
>>>
>>> (posting here instead of opening a ticket because JIRA is currently down)
>>>
>>> It appears that people are (ab)using the RepositoryChecker to fix the
>>> versioning information in their repo after *removing* the version
>>> storage.
>>> (It would be good to understand why this happens, but anyway...)
>>

>> Could it be that people want to cleanup their version history as it
>> can grow quite large over time? We have had this request several times
>> from customers. An option could be to provide a more convenient way to
>> do clean it up properly.
>

> Maybe (but not in this case).
>

>>> The RepositoryChecker, as currently implemented, walks the repository,
>>> collects changes, and, when done, submits them as a single repository
>>> ChangeLog.
>>>
>>> This will not work if the number of affected nodes is big.
>>>
>>> Unfortunately, the checker is currently designed to do things to two
>>> steps;
>>> we could of course stop collecting changes after a threshold, then apply
>>> what we have, then re-run the checker. That would probably work, but
>>> would
>>> be slow on huge repositories.
>>>
>>> The best alternative I see is to add a checkAndFix() method that is
>>> allowed
>>> to apply ChangeLogs to the repository on the run (and of course to use
>>> that
>>> variant from within RepositoryImpl.doVersionRecovery()).
>>>
>>> Feedback appreciated, Julian
>>

>> We (@Hippo) have been doing quite a bit of work on the consistency
>> checker lately. See the following issues:
>>
>> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JCR-3267
>> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JCR-3265
>> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JCR-3269
>> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JCR-3277
>> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JCR-3263
>

> Saw that (and sorry for not providing feedback yet). But that was about the
> *ConsistencyChecker*, not the *RepositoryChecker*, right? (The latter fixes
> versioning inconsistencies, so it operates at a higher level).

It's about both ;-)

I hope to have some free cycles soon to go over the issues. Some are
straight fixes and some concern some larger changes which probably
need some input from other developers as well.

To provide some background information: we have had some serious
issues with inconsistencies in the repository with several customers.
We've invested quite some time in tracking down the root cause of
these problems (I will send an email about that shortly) and creating
a standalone checker that can quickly check and fix all current
inconsistencies. We can now check and fix millions of nodes in the
matter of minutes although this comes at a cost of quite some memory
usage. The current checks also didn't find all inconsistencies so we
improved/added some checks.

Regards,
Bart

--
Amsterdam - Oosteinde 11, 1017 WT Amsterdam
Boston - 1 Broadway, Cambridge, MA 02142

US +1 877 414 4776 (toll free)
Europe +31(0)20 522 4466
www.onehippo.com