jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From Julian Reschke <julian.resc...@gmx.de>
Subject Re: Developed jackrabbit-webdav client for Android
Date Thu, 19 Apr 2012 11:10:54 GMT
On 2012-04-19 12:38, ashimita wrote:
> *>No, I don't think so. There's a good reason why slf4j is used.*
> I understand that org.slf4j.Logger and  org.slf4j.LoggerFactory may have
> been used for a good reason. I don't know the reason though.
> But if we look at the source code, many places, they are not even used
> for logging. They have just been instantiated in those classes and not
> used. It has been existing from 2.2.5.
> It's like declaring a variable and not using it. Nobody cleared them up
> as well. :)

Well, we can clear those up. But that doesn't change that the code base
in general uses that logging interface,

> *> Well, commenting out isn't an option. This needs more research.*
> I agree and well, I have mentioned in my previous email the same thing.
>
> *>Optimally, you don't need Android-specific changes.*
> Android does not support  org.slf4j.Logger or org.slf4j.LoggerFactory.
> We are not ready to replace them for android. So effectively this
> library will not work on Android.

You just need an implementation of the slf4j interfaces that works with
whatever Android uses as default logger. No source code change in
jackrabbit should be needed.

> If we don't need Android-specific changes, wil Jackrabbit-webdav provide
> a solution to work on Android platform now or in the near future? Right
> now it does not.

I can't know until I understand what the actual problem is.

Best regards, Julian