jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From Julian Reschke <julian.resc...@gmx.de>
Subject jackrabbit-core RepositoryChecker.fix() can fail with OOM
Date Wed, 18 Apr 2012 09:28:42 GMT
Hi there.

(posting here instead of opening a ticket because JIRA is currently down)

It appears that people are (ab)using the RepositoryChecker to fix the
versioning information in their repo after *removing* the version
storage. (It would be good to understand why this happens, but anyway...)

The RepositoryChecker, as currently implemented, walks the repository,
collects changes, and, when done, submits them as a single repository
ChangeLog.

This will not work if the number of affected nodes is big.

Unfortunately, the checker is currently designed to do things to two
steps; we could of course stop collecting changes after a threshold,
then apply what we have, then re-run the checker. That would probably
work, but would be slow on huge repositories.

The best alternative I see is to add a checkAndFix() method that is
allowed to apply ChangeLogs to the repository on the run (and of course
to use that variant from within RepositoryImpl.doVersionRecovery()).

Feedback appreciated, Julian