jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From Jukka Zitting <jukka.zitt...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [jr3] Index on randomly distributed data
Date Tue, 06 Mar 2012 16:01:30 GMT
Hi,

This thread is confusing two different things: the UUID accessible as
the jcr:uuid property of a JCR node, and the internal reference used
by the underlying storage implementation to locate a specific node
state. In Jackrabbit 2.x these are the same, but in jr3/oak this is no
longer the case since the MVCC model implies that the internal storage
references change at each content change.

IIUC Thomas' original post was about the latter case, i.e. the
internal storage references, *not* jcr:uuid properties.

The tree interface we've been drafting in the other thread explicitly
hides the underlying storage identifiers, which should help isolate
this design decision from higher levels of code.

Rather than discuss this issue in the abstract, I suggest that we
define a set of relevant performance benchmarks, and  use them for
evaluating potential alternatives.

BR,

Jukka Zitting