jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From Marcel Reutegger <mreut...@adobe.com>
Subject RE: [jr3] Tree model
Date Mon, 05 Mar 2012 09:45:05 GMT
Hi,

> > i don't think that it is a major design constraint in general.
> > since in a jcr repository a lot of content is expected to be
> > ordered (->  nt:unstructured) we should IMO support this in the mk
> > and don't delegate this to the upper layer.
> >
> > i agree that very 'flat' nodes are a special case.
> > how about stating something along the line of:
> >
> > child nodes are an orderable (implying 'ordered' of course) set
> > of name/node mappings. however, if the size of the set
> > exceeds a certain (discoverable?) trheshold, it might just
> > ordered, but not orderable.
> >

> I thinks that this is better tackled the other way around: store order
> explicitly as Jukka proposed. This will basically have the same
> observable effect as you describe but OTOH free the implementation from
> the constraint of having to maintain the order. Furthermore it leaves
> the decision for the threshold to the upper layers which can decide
> individually what's good for them.

I agree with Michael on where to maintain the order of child nodes
when needed. However, I don't agree that there should be a threshold
where the behavior will flip. Even if it is documented, people will
probably rely on the initial behavior when they test their application
with a small set of content and then find out their application breaks
as more content is added. I think it is better to have consistent
behavior.

Regards
 Marcel