jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From Marcel Reutegger <mreut...@adobe.com>
Subject [jr3] clustering
Date Thu, 01 Mar 2012 11:05:46 GMT
Hi,

recently I was thinking about an approaches to implement
clustering in JR3 and I'd like to know what you think about it.

Distributed B-tree

the clustering ideas we discusses so far [0] partition the tree at
given paths similar to mount points in a file system. I think
the drawback of those approaches is that they are rather static
and you'd probably have to define where those mount points
are. to me it seems rather difficult to setup a system that is
able to grow when the repository size increases.

so, I was thinking of something similar as described in this
paper [1] or similar [2]. since a B-tree is basically an ordered
list of items we'd have to linearize the JCR or MK hierarchy. I'm
not sure whether a depth or breadth first traversal is
better suited. maybe there even exists a more sophisticated
space filling curve, which is a combination of both. linearizing
the hierarchy on a B-tree should give some since locality for
nodes that are hierarchically close and probability is high that
they are requested in succession. the algorithm discussed in
[1] then distributes the nodes of the B-tree randomly to
machines (at least in the most simply case). note, that a
B-tree node may contain many JCR/MK nodes. with a reasonable
size for a B-tree node, we'd get a good balance of locality
and distribution to multiple servers.

the algorithm uses optimistic concurrency control and two
phase commits when changes need to be applied on multiple
servers. I'm not a big fan of two phase commit, but if we assume
that most commits are rather small, changes will be applied
to a single server and a one phase commit is sufficient. two
phase commits would only be necessary for e.g. larger
imports.

Open questions:

how does MVCC fit into this? multiple revisions of the same
JCR/MK node could be stored on a B-tree node. whenever
an update happens the garbage collection could kick in an
purge outdated revisions. providing a consistent journal across
all servers is not clear to me right now.

How does backup work? this is quite tricky because it is
difficult to get a consistent snapshot of the distributed
tree.

Regards
 Marcel

[0] https://docs.google.com/presentation/pub?id=131sVx5s58jAKE2FSVBfUZVQSl1W820_syyzLYRHGH6E&start=false&loop=false&delayms=3000#slide=id.g4272a65_0_39