jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From Thomas Mueller <muel...@adobe.com>
Subject Re: [jr3] Tree model
Date Wed, 29 Feb 2012 08:26:51 GMT
Hi,

>>* Mutable data strucutures also have benefits:
>>  it avoids creating lots of garbage and a new root node
>>  for each and every modification.
>
>I don't really care for garbage: In fact Java is even better at
>allocating and cleaning up short-lived small objects than C is.

Well, it's also about write throughput and ease-of-use. Garbage is only
one aspect.

>As a user of the JCR API I really do care about concurrent writes.

We discussed that at the F2F. It seems your problem is actually write
throughput. You *think* that concurrent writes will automatically improve
write throughput. Well, this is not the case, and sometimes it's the exact
opposite. Write throughput will also decrease if data structures are
always immutable (see above).

Regards,
Thomas