jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From Alexander Klimetschek <aklim...@adobe.com>
Subject Re: [jr3 microkernel] Change log consolidation
Date Mon, 06 Feb 2012 12:11:50 GMT
>From looking at the use cases I agree with Thomas - in reality you
probably don't reduce much for an individual change list, since these are
typically adding one or few nodes + a bunch of properties, or removing a
few, but not necessarily mixing multiple move, add & remove operations in
a single session. For some edge cases (as the mentioned move + move back)
it is obviously useful and including it should not hurt, if the algorithm
is proven.

The more interesting problem is the conflict handling against a committed
changelist, or a concurrently applied changelist (thinking of a
distributed cluster). Maybe the same approach using operations to merge
concurrent changes (instead of operations vs. persisted state) can be used
here. If you don't have to look at the state (i.e. possibly the entire
repository), things might be faster or less memory intensive.

This sounds similar to the Operational transformation (OT) approach [0]
used for concurrent text editors. However, OT turns out to be quite
difficult to formally prove even for insert/remove actions in a text, when
concurrency comes into play. With hierarchy operations, this might even be
more complex. But maybe worth a thought at least (and more Mathematicians
like Michi :-) on the team).

[0] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operational_transformation

Cheers,
Alex