jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From Jukka Zitting <jukka.zitt...@gmail.com>
Subject [jr3] On pluggability and OSGi (Was: [jr3] Release roadmap)
Date Thu, 23 Feb 2012 16:33:57 GMT

On Thu, Feb 23, 2012 at 4:03 PM, Felix Meschberger <fmeschbe@adobe.com> wrote:
> Hence I would go with OSGi from Day 0 and use the OSGi Service
> Registry as the mechanic for pluggability.

The trouble with OSGi by default is that it brings in a massive and
pretty complex dependency with it. If you build your code with the
OSGi service registry in mind, it becomes difficult to run it in any
other environment, including in a simple JUnit test case. You're
basically making an assumption that all your deployment environments
will be OSGi frameworks, which dramatically reduces your potential

I don't want us to make that assumption. It should IMHO be possible to
embed the repository implementation to for example an Android app, to
a Maven plugin or a J2EE CMS without having to OSGify the entire

That doesn't mean we couldn't or shouldn't use OSGi for wiring things
up when the repository *is* deployed to an OSGi environment. Indeed
that's why I explicitly included those points in the roadmap. It's
just that we shouldn't make the core architecture depend on constructs
like ServiceTracker that don't work outside the scope of OSGi.

Jukka Zitting

View raw message