jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From Jukka Zitting <jukka.zitt...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [jr3] Codename
Date Mon, 27 Feb 2012 10:00:35 GMT
Hi,

On Mon, Feb 27, 2012 at 10:47 AM, Ard Schrijvers
<a.schrijvers@onehippo.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 24, 2012 at 11:36 AM, Jukka Zitting <jukka.zitting@gmail.com> wrote:
>> My personal favorite so far is "Jonsai" (as in Java + Bonsai) that
>> Michael D. suggested in a lunch conversation last week.
>
> Bonsai might give a perception of small, and not 'BigTree' kind at all

Right, that's why I was trying to come up with something starting from
the "big tree" idea. The mentioned "BigTree" is IMHO too clunky and
way too close to the already existing "Bigtop" project [1]. The idea
Justin was leading with Sequioa (Redwood), Cypress or something
similar seems promising, but most of such names are already used in
the software domain. A slightly mangled name like in "Jonsai" might
work here.

One possible alternative is the "Oak" name I've been using in a
somewhat related effort within Apache Labs [2]. That effort never went
too far, so if people like it we could reuse the name for jr3. Quoting
from my Labs mail about the name: "PS. The project name is based on a
subplot about a mighty oak-tree [3] in the Finnish national epic
Kalevala. It's also a reference to the large-scale tree hierarchy
inherent in the planned Oak architecture. I know the name conflicts
with the old name of Java and a few other projects out there, but at
least for the duration of the lab I think the name is unique enough."

[1] http://incubator.apache.org/bigtop/
[2] http://markmail.org/message/5arnqmom5tel7vtx
[3] http://www.sacred-texts.com/neu/kveng/kvrune02.htm

BR,