jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From Jukka Zitting <jukka.zitt...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [jr3] Release roadmap
Date Thu, 23 Feb 2012 14:53:35 GMT
Hi,

To clarify, the "basic implementation" entries I included in the
proposed roadmap are really very basic, hello world -level stuff. I'm
talking about hardcoding defaults, throwing exceptions on
unimplemented parts, etc.

The main focus for those basic implementations is to get at least some
initial approximation of the final implementation so that we can
identify potential issues in internal design and architecture as early
as possible.

For example the mentioned "basic access control" feature could well be
as simple as for example having a hardcoded ACL against a hardcoded
list of users and only supporting basic "read" and "write" controls on
properties named "acltest". Note however that such assumptions and
simplifications should *not* be reflected in the internal architecture
that guides how such access control checks are made.

That latter part is the hard task we need to focus on as early as
possible (and it certainly requires that people have enough time to
work on it). If we get that design part right (or at least close
enough), we can then schedule the more complete implementation work
more or less independently in parallel of the other parts of the
repository implementation.

We'll also need to make it clear in the roadmap that nobody will
expect such "designed, just a basic implementation for now" -features
to be usable in any production scenario.

BR,

Jukka Zitting