jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From Ard Schrijvers <a.schrijv...@onehippo.com>
Subject Re: [jr3 trade consistency for availability]
Date Thu, 23 Feb 2012 11:37:23 GMT

On Thu, Feb 23, 2012 at 12:07 PM, Thomas Mueller <mueller@adobe.com> wrote:

>>then we still don't have
>>transactional searches
> My plan was to support searches for data that is persisted (no search in
> the transient space).

Yes this seems very natural to me, so very much agree. However what I
meant was that after a search is executed, you get back a jcr
NodeIterator from the search result. In the mean time, while
iterating, a node from the result can be deleted by a different
session. So, the search result is not transactional. Which makes much
sense: We are not building a database! However, when we cannot and
should not try to implement transactional searches, then why should we
try to create consistent indexes? Would it be consistent enough, that
only a jcr session that does a 'save', has to wait for the index to be
updated with his changes. Thus, other sessions can query while the
index queue is non empty.

Any way, perhaps too much into the details

Regards Ard

> But the index should be updated as part of the save
> operation I think (except for fulltext search).
> Regards,
> Thomas

Amsterdam - Oosteinde 11, 1017 WT Amsterdam
Boston - 1 Broadway, Cambridge, MA 02142

US +1 877 414 4776 (toll free)
Europe +31(0)20 522 4466

View raw message