jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From Ard Schrijvers <a.schrijv...@onehippo.com>
Subject Re: [jr3 optional features]
Date Thu, 23 Feb 2012 10:46:27 GMT
Hello,

On Wed, Feb 22, 2012 at 7:31 PM, Michael Dürig <mduerig@apache.org> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Another point that came up at last week's F2F was that jr3 should - in
> contrast to jr2 - not implement all optional features of the JCR
> specification. Rather should we concentrate on the "core" features and
> improve them wrt. jr2.

<snip/>

> query.languages = ?
> query.stored.queries.supported = ?
> query.full.text.search.supported = true

Obviously I am not aware about all what has been discussed in the F2F
and also I must admit I haven't followed jr3 discussions very well,
but I am just wondering if nobody raised the idea to make the entire
indexing not part of the core. I think, the strength of JCR
(jackrabbit) is that it is a simple to use and understand hierarchical
storage with authentication and authorization and observers. However,
I think querying is one of its weaknesses : Not per se because the
specification has strange requirements, but more because it seems to
me to instantly result in a mismatch between hierarchical structured
data and flat indexing through Lucene (assuming Lucene as index).

It is really amazing what has been implemented in jackrabbit 2 through
Lucene regarding queries. But in the end, it seems to me to have a to
poor performance (after couple of tens of millions of nodes), huge
memory consumption, and does not match what in the end customers
desire (in our cases at least). If there would be a jr3 core and an
optional index, that would make sense to me. Also, it makes usages of
the indexes by the core itself impossible, so also from a
architectural pov, it seems better to me.

Regards Ard

--
Amsterdam - Oosteinde 11, 1017 WT Amsterdam
Boston - 1 Broadway, Cambridge, MA 02142

US +1 877 414 4776 (toll free)
Europe +31(0)20 522 4466
www.onehippo.com